Thursday, October 7, 2010

CQ Update #8...

I'm almost done now! Tonight I finished all but the last of the patches on this block.  If I didn't have such a bad headache, I might have continued working on it.  There's something about seeing the finish line that gives you an extra burst of speed.  In any case, I plan to make Hyacinths on the last patch and expect them to take a bit of time.  So here's the block as it stands right now...

Current progress on the CQ block

To my eye, it's looking rather busy.  But I've noticed that with a lot of the crazy quilts I've seen.  Every time you look at it, you see something new.  And the more you examine them, the more you appreciate all the work that goes into each one.  After working on this small 12" block for so long, I have a huge admiration for anyone who has made an entire quilt like this.  I think it's a bit beyond my level of patience.

I've finished 2 more patches since my last report.  Patch # 9 is another row of flowers.  I found some purple iridescent shells at JoAnns the other day that are shaped like flowers.  I attached them to the background and added stems to each of them using the Stem stitch and 3 strands of DMC floss.  The leaves are a combination of Ribbon sitches, Folded Ribbon stitches and Straight stitches using 4mm green silk ribbon.  And finally I added a butterfly charm above the flowers.

Patch #9 - more flowers

For the next patch, I used some ribbon flowers that I also purchased from JoAnns.  I stitched them on and added a Whipped Chain stitch for the stems using 2 strands of DMC floss.  I found the beads for the leaves in my stash of jewelry stuff.  The little bug charms I added were given to me by my friend, Thearica.  I really like the touch of whimsy they add to the patch.

Patch #10 - Red flowers and bugs

I'm so glad Thearica suggested I stitch all the seam treatments before embellishing the patches.  It would have been much more difficult to go back at the end and add them.

I've been wanting to stitch a caterpillar somewhere on this block and found the perfect place for him tonight.  I've placed him climbing from one seam to another in the last unfinished patch of the block.  He's constructed of a bunch of Colonial Knots placed close together using 4mm yellow/gold silk ribbon.  I then went back and added straight stitches between each pair of knots using 2 strands of DMC floss.  Although it doesn't show well in the picture, I also added a couple of Straight stitches for antennae.

Patch #11 - The caterpillar

Hopefully I'll get started on filling in the last patch tomorrow.  Once it's finished, I still need to put a backing on the block before calling this challenge piece complete.  

Until later...

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."  
Proverbs 19:21 (NIV)


  1. This is looking so amazing! I just love this block you are making. I know I commented about this before, but thank you so much for sharing this. I like that I can check my reading list every day or so and see what new things you have done on this project. I should it to another gal at work and she too was in awe of your work. So great job!

  2. Very nice! I especially like the caterpillar! Nice touch of whimsy. I had thought 2010 would be the year I got going on cq-ing, but haven't made much of a start. One of these days...

    Enjoyed your blog, I'll be back. :)