I won an award! Cathy over at Cathy's Craft Corner has nominated me for the Liebster Award. How very sweet of her! (A much nicer surprise than the tax bill I also received in the mail today.)
So I did a little searching on the history of the Liebster Award and found out it's origins are pretty much a mystery. However, the gist of it is, bloggers nominate other bloggers who have less than 200 followers. It's a nice way to say, "Hey, I like your blog. You're not a completely boring, nincompoop and here's an award to prove it!" Then those bloggers who are nominated answer a bunch of questions and pass it on.
Here are the rules for accepting the award:
- List 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer 11 questions about yourself.
- Nominate 11 bloggers with 200 or less followers to receive the award. (Their links are at the end!)
- Create 11 new questions for the nominated bloggers to answer. (Those questions are also towards the end.)
- Go to each bloggers page and let them know about the award.
- Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog. (At the beginning. Thanks again Cathy!)
So let's start with 11 random facts about myself. Hmmm...
- I once dyed my hair purple. I didn't mean to. It was a home dye kit and I just did a really horrible job. It cost me $200 to get it repaired!
- From about October until April, I usually wear 2 or 3 pairs of socks at a time (plus slippers). I have very cold feet!
- I love to cook, but I'm not a very good baker and I'm really bad at rolling out pie crusts.
- I gave up eating beef and pork 3 years ago, when my dog died. Not because she died, the timing was just coincidental.
- I really like to dance, but I have NO rhythm. I take a Zumba class at the gym, but have to make sure I'm not standing in front of a mirror so I'm not reminded of how bad I really am.
- At one point in my life, I was pretty much confined to bed for over 2 years. Thinking about it reminds me how far I've come and that God really is in control of everything!
- I love to spend Sunday afternoons reading and napping with my husband and all our furbabies.
- In a previous life, I was a computer engineer and worked on the development of Bluetooth.
- Despite #8, I've never sent a text message!
- I have 4 cats and a dog - all rescues.
- I have at least 30 UFO's, but if you count projects that I've kitted up but not started yet, it's more like 60! Yikes!
Here are my answers to Cathy's questions:
- What is your description of a perfect day? One where I get to stay home all day. I'd start off in my sewing room and I know there'd be a long nap in there somewhere surrounded by all my furbabies. Then spending the rest of the day with my husband hanging out.
- What project have you done or created that you are most proud of? The doggie quilt that I designed and made for a challenge on the HGTV Quilting Forum. I had a picture in my head and was afraid I couldn't translate it to fabric, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. (See picture below.)
- How long have you been blogging and what got you started? I started blogging in June 2009 because I wanted to start documenting my quilting. But I quickly found I wanted to share more than just quilting. I like having a scrapbook of our pets through the years and other life happenings. It's also been a great way to meet people I never would have met otherwise.
- What is your favorite style of decor? I'm not sure what the term for it is. Maybe contemporary? I like clean lines and not a lot of clutter, but I'm a little more traditional than modern.
- Who or what gives you the most inspiration? For living my life, definitely the Bible! I enjoy doing Bible Studies, listening to contemporary Christian music, etc. Creatively, I get a lot of inspiration from looking at the quilting others do. Judi Madsen does some beautiful work as does Diane Gaudynski. There's always lots of inspiration at quilt shows too.
- What is you favorite season of the year? It used to be fall. I loved the changing weather and leaves. However, since I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, I'm really partial to summer. I just do better with warmer weather. Plus I only need 1 pair of socks. Much less laundry!
- Who do you admire the most? Jesus. I try every day to be more like Him and although I'm not the same person I was when I came to know Him, I still have a long, long way to go!
- What is your favorite blog to follow? Thelma over at Cupcakes 'n Daisies. I always enjoy her posts and she makes some beautiful quilts. She's also managed to document every quilt she's ever made, something I wish I had done.
- Where is the most interesting place you have ever visited? I used to live in Panama as a child and I loved it! It was summer all year round and so much fun. I don't know what it would be like as an adult, but as a kid it was paradise!
- Describe your home decor. Lots of dark wood and neutral color walls, but tons of windows, so lots of natural light. Not a lot of clutter. Bright, cheerful kitchen with yellow walls and red valances.
- Do you enjoy outdoor activities? Such as? I am not an outdoor girl. The only outdoor activity I take part in is walking my dog in the park. During the summer we try to do 20 miles a week, but because it's so cold, we've hardly been going at all. I'm looking forward to the warmer temps and getting back out there! It's great exercise (and bonding time) for both of us.
Here are the 11 blogs that I chose to pass the award along to. I've chosen them because I follow them and enjoy reading what they have to say! Please visit them and say hi as well!
Donna @ http://fabricfun-everythingquilts.blogspot.com/
Ann Marie @ http://16muddyfeet.blogspot.com/
Amy @ http://skattebo-skattebo.blogspot.com/
Nancy @ http://lifetakesaturn.wordpress.com/
Lisa @ http://thescarberryfamily.blogspot.com/
Satu @ http://quilttales.blogspot.com/
Kim @ http://seeingstars-quilting.blogspot.com/
Nan @ http://yellowmoundquilt.blogspot.com/
JoAnne @ http://thepatrioticquilter.blogspot.com/
Brandie @ http://abrandiecreation.blogspot.com/
Kathy @ http://troublesomecreekquilts.blogspot.com/
Now here are MY questions for the 11 bloggers that I have nominated. Please post this information for others to see when they stop by.
- What one item could you not live without?
- What's your favorite beverage?
- What is one thing you want to do or learn this year?
- How long have you been blogging and what got you started?
- When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up and how does that differ from where you ended up?
- What is the last book you read?
- What project are you working on right now?
- What is you favorite blog to follow?
- What is the strangest place you've ever visited/want to visit?
- Favorite music singer or group.
- Where do you look for inspiration?
P.S. I realize it's kind of difficult to come up with 11 of this and 11 of that, so if any of the nominees feel like shortening their lists, that's fine with me. Looking on Google, it appears that the rules are somewhat flexible. Just have fun with it!