Because of the light background it's really difficult to see the quilting from the front. However, I used a black backing and it shows up well there. I almost wish I'd left the label off because then the quilt would be reversible! (My husband told me he prefers the back too.)
The most challenging part was definitely the curved cross-hatching in the border. I was stumped for the longest time about how to do this. Eventually I pulled out this ruler I have for sewing clothes.
I marked all the lines with a disappearing ink pen one section at a time. I still had to do a lot of math and calculations to get it to work out evenly though. In the end, I definitely think it was worth the extra time and effort.
I quilted 4 different fillers around the Dresden flowers in the center of the quilt and duplicated them in the border. I also added some Diane-shiko to the center of each flower and feathers between them.
I used both the blue washable pen and the disappearing pen to mark the quilt top when needed, but a lot of it was just free motion quilted. The Dresden's are attached to the background with a machine blanket stitch.
I'll admit that when I first started learning how to free motion quilt, I did it out of necessity. I had a bunch of quilts that needed quilting and I couldn't afford to send them out. (I'd rather spend the money on fabric!) Although I loved making quilt tops, I really didn't enjoy quilting them. But over the years, as I've practiced and gotten better, I've really come to love it! And I had so much fun finishing this quilt. When given a choice between piecing or working on this, I chose to work on this. I have another one I'm quilting right now and I'm forcing myself to take a break from it to do some piecing.
Funny thing is, I still have a closet full of quilt tops needing to be quilted. Although I love doing it, I never seem to pick simple designs and each quilt takes me a while. (But I always think they're worth it!) Ironically, I have had the perfect place in mind to hang this quilt since I started it. However, we have now decided to sell our house and I can't put it up. I guess I'll just have to find that perfect spot in the new house...
So here are the details for this quilt...
- Size: 49" square
- Fabric: Nature's Gift by Deb Strain, Bella Solid Natural and Black
- Batting: 2 layers of Warm & Natural
- Thread: Aurifil for the piecing and quilting - black and #2310
- Pattern: I saw the quilt online and made my own version.
Now on to the next one...
Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.
Romans 12:2 (NLT)